Though mandated over a year ago, it is estimated that only 1 in 10 residential homes in the state of California have carbon monoxide detectors installed in them. Known as the “silent killer” because it is odorless and colorless - carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for nearly 500 deaths each year and approximately 20,000 emergency room visits.
Effective January 1, 2013 carbon monoxide detectors will also be required in multi-unit residences such as apartments and condominiums in California.
It is recommended that one unit be installed on every floor of a residence, as well as outside each sleeping area.
Though this is a relatively new law to the state of California, there are several states which have already adopted similar, and in some cases more stringent CO requirements. Because of this, there are already many appropriately listed and approved devices on the market that will conform to these requirements.
41 of the 50 US states have CO mandates on the books. Below are some resources to learn more about legislation in your state:
TC Life Safety offers CO detectors for a wide range of applications:
Approved CO Devices for Residential Applications: 120VAC hardwired and Plug-in
- Gentex CO1209, 120VAC/9VDC Single/Multiple Station CO Alarm
- First Alert CO600B Plug-in Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- BRK CO605B, Plug-in CO Alarm with Battery Backup
Approved CO Device(s) for Residential Applications: Battery Operated
- Air Products & Controls APC-9V-CO Battery-Operated (9V) Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- First Alert CO400B Battery-Operated (9V) Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Approved Combination Smoke / CO Devices for Residential Applications: 120VAC and Battery Operated
- Air Products & Controls APC-9V-CO-S, Battery-Operated (9V) Combination Smoke/CO Detector
- Air Products & Controls APC-120-CO-S, 120V AC Smoke/CO Detector w/Battery Backup
- Gentex GN-503F, 120V AC Combo Photoelectric Smoke/CO Detector, Form A/C Relay, 9VDC Backup
- Gentex GN-503, 120VAC Combo Photoelectric Smoke/CO Detector, 9VDC Battery Backup
- BRK SC7010B, 120VAC Wire-In Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- BRK SC9120B 120V Smoke/CO Detector w/Battery Backup
- BRK SCO2B, 9V Battery-Powered Combination Smoke/CO Detector
- First Alert SCO5CN Combination CO, P/E Smoke, Battery-Powered (AA)
Approved CO Devices for connection to UL Listed Fire Alarm or Burglar Panel in an office or residential applications
- Macurco CM-E1 Carbon Monoxide Detector, 9-32VDC, UL2075
- System Sensor CO1224T 4-wire CO Detector w/RealTest Technology
- ESL 250-CO, 12/24VDC Carbon Monoxide Detector w/Relay
- Potter Electric CO-1224 CO Detector wtih Trouble Relay
Approved CO Devices for commercial/industrial applications
- Macurco CM-6 Carbon Monoxide Detector, Controller and Transducer
This unit can be used as a stand alone (built in 5A relay contact for fan control) or can be used in conjunction with the DVP-120 Detection and Ventilation control. Each DVP120 can accommodate up to 12 CO detectors. Commonly used in multi-level parking garages.
- Macurco DVP-120, Detection and Ventilation Control Panel
Approved CO Devices for Duct Applications