Summer is quickly coming to a close, that means more living indoors, closed windows and on comes the heat... It also means cozy nights by the fireplace and the warmth of a wood stove, Oh ya, and the never ending threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Make sure your CO Detectors are operational, test them either with a test gas that is Listed for the purpose or by using the test button on the front of most devices. This once a month practice can save your life and the lives of those around you.
Another thing to look out for is the age of your detector, most detectors have a useful life of 4 - 6 years (unless you have recently purchased some of the new 10 year devices).
So how many of you experienced a CO Detectors Chirping and assumed it was a dead battery only to have it continue to chirp with a new battery installed? This chirp is the "End of Life" signal all CO Detectors have. It is telling you the sensor is no longer capable of detecting CO and it is time to replace the entire detector.
Now let me ask, How many of you just took the battery out and never replaced the detector? If you have an Oil Burner, Gas Burner and/or Gas Stove and/or Gas Hot Water Heater and/or Gas Clothes Dryer (Propane or Natural doesn't matter), Fireplace, Wood or Pellet Stove, any appliance that has a flame you are flirting with possible Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is the byproduct of incomplete combustion and any of the afore mentioned devices can create lethal amounts of CO without you knowing it.
So protect your loved ones and yourselves. Upgrade your home and install a CO detector on every level of your home and in every sleeping room. If your living room shares a wall with your garage, put one in the living room, or kitchen or whatever room shares a wall with a built-in garage because cars left running in the morning to warm up create massive amounts of CO that could leak through doorways and electrical fixtures and walls.
And while your at it, test your smoke alarms too, you can get combo CO and Smoke Alarms to go in your sleeping rooms... One hole in the ceiling for two levels of protection, ya can't beat it!
And have a LifeSafety Day!